Wednesday, November 29, 2006

cold snap, gym membership

The locals are going crazy because the temperature dipped below freezing last night. I heard one guy announce with an air of incredulity and amazement, "It's so cold- if it rained it would be snow!" Now I've never considered myself to be a true Northerner or anything, but comments like that make me wonder. Actually my thermostat measured 54 degrees in the apt when I woke up this morning. It's not that I'm too cheap to use the heat. It's just that I'm not there most of the time, and most of the time that I am there, I'm sleeping or on the couch and can don a blanket. I guess one of the pluses of being an avid backpacker is that I have lots of warm sleeping bags.

In other news, I've joined a gym! I've never had a gym membership before and I'm pretty excited about it. I have to admit, however, that when I was there last night I found it a little overwhelming. I hardly know the first thing about working out, and there were SO many machines! I'll probably spend most of my time in the actual gymnasium proper, where they have pick-up basketball daily, and open indoor soccer and volleyball every week. Oh, and I stepped on the scale and was amazed to find that I weigh over twenty pounds more than I did when I finished hiking the AT.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can believe you weigh 20lbs more - you look really good!
Gain more weight and Dad might be sporting you new suits,(you can keep the girl and the shoes)
Vickie, I'm interested in seeing your new sweater. Does it make you look respectable?

Anonymous said...

Just thught I'd let you know that I just typed that with one hand, as I'm giving Dad a back tickle with the other =)

Anonymous said...

Actually I lied! I don't HAVE a new sweater! But his comment about the vain & lame was too good to pass up! And sweaters don't make me look respectable -20 extra pounds doesn't look good on me like it does on Sean! Maybe I need to walk the AT!(AND cut out the ice cream!)

Anonymous said...

Usually they have a one time set up deal where someone will show you around and teach you how to use all of the machines...look into it...when you begin to weight lift, it's almost addicting and a lot of fun if you do it properly.