Tuesday, October 31, 2006

How I got the job

First of all, A great big thank you to everyone for the comments. I'd have gotten into blogging much sooner if I'd have known how much fun it could be. Keep 'em coming!

And on a more serious note, here's a little account I typed up a few days ago regarding how I ended up relocating 3000 miles away:

One of the main reasons I hiked the AT was to get direction for the future, specifically in regards to career. Despite countless miles spent alone with the Lord in prayer, I arrived home from Maine with nothing specific in that regard, but with a nagging sense that it would be a shame for all the resources I invested in getting a law degree to simply go to waste.
I was home for only about a week when I got a message from a lawyer friend in CA (Mark Bigger) that there was a law job opportunity in CA: Christopher Martens, an OBCL grad with a solo practice, was getting too busy to keep up. Mark encouraged me to contact Martens and I promised to think about it.
The next day, my phone rang and it was Christopher. Our conversation was brief but exciting. After a couple more days of prayer and discussion, I told him I’d be in CA by the end of September (AFTER our annual family vacation =).
Breaking into the legal market is challenging under the best of circumstances, and this difficulty is compounded exponentially when you’re trying to job-hunt from 3000 miles away, more than two years after graduating law school, and when you don’t have a traditional high school diploma, undergrad degree, or juris doctor degree. I feel strongly that this move and job offer is God’s direction for my life. The timing couldn’t have been better, and I couldn’t be more excited. I’m humbled and amazed by the blessings God has showered upon me. They certainly aren’t a result of any efforts on my part, but as the proverb says, “God makes the sun to shine on the just as well as the unjust.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A late congratulations, Sean!! Glad to hear the details on how you got your job (I haven't talked to your parents lately). It's so good to see how you are looking to God for direction! Just wish He would have directed you a little closer to the East Coast! Oh well! There IS a purpose for everything. Hope to see you at Christmas (IF you are coming home).

Anonymous said...

Hi Sean - what an exciting move in your already exciting life.
Loved the update and will look forward to checking in on you.

PLEASE let us know next time you are in OKC so that we can get to visit with you. Texas is not that far you know!!

Texas Hugz,
Anne
<*)))><
The pictures were fantastic.