Friday, October 20, 2006

The Drive Out

Not much to say here. I left Harrisburg around 1 pm on Wednesday, 9/20/06, with my car loaded to the gills. My car actually doesn't have gills, but if it did, it would have been loaded right to 'em. Here's a picture showing me and Fiona with all her loadedness and gill-lessness. As you can see, there was very little in the way of tire/fender clearance.

Seven or eight hundred miles later I had a surprisingly good night's sleep at a rest stop- somewhere in Missouri, I think. The truckers and I woke up to a crisp clear day, perfect for driving.

And then there were like two more days of this.

I did get to overnight with the fam in OK, which of course was the highlight of the trip and a welcome break. Thanks guys!

I crossed the border into CA Saturday morning, which means I made the cross-country trip in roughly three full days. The cheapest gas I found was $2.07 in Ohio, and the most expensive was somewhere around $3.40, right after I got into CA. I think I spent between 250 and 300 bucks in gas and tolls on the 2800 mile trip.

3 comments:

Christian said...

Just paid $2.17 for premium here in Oklahoma. It's $1.97 for regular now. =)

Erin said...

It is $1.96 in the good ole' south.

Janice Phillips said...

Isn't the cross-country drive amazing? I loved mine last year when I moved out here, although I think you beat A) my level of "gill-less-ness" and B) my travel time (I wasn't in as much of a rush to get out here).