Thursday, January 18, 2007

some interests and goals

It's still January so I'm going to go with a "it's not too late to post New Year's resolutions" stance. Actually the things below aren't so much New Year's resolutions as they are just some current interests and long range planning ideas. I scribbled this list back in December because I was feeling like there were a bunch of things rattling around in my head that I was going to forget if I didn't jot them down. They're not prioritized or in any particular order.
  • Get into snowshoeing- within the next 3 months
  • Whitewater kayaking- 6 months
  • Motorcycle- 2 years
  • LASIC (corrective eye surgery)- 1 yr
  • Handgun and concealed carry permit- 1 yr
  • Sequoia Mountain Rescue- (already doing, yay! =)
  • Soccer/Ultimate/gym (some kind of regular exercise)- another one I can already check off
  • drum or guitar lessons- 3 yrs (figure I shouldn't get a drum set while I'm still in an apt)
  • Buy and fix up a house- 3 yrs (so I can get a drum set)
  • Learn Spanish- 3 yrs (bilingual people are cool and seem smart. plus, it could be a big asset with my job)
  • Get plugged in at a local church- 3 months
  • new car- 2 yrs (Fiona's fine but I'm still enamored with WRX's and VW hatchbacks)
  • move the rest of my stuff from PA to CA- 6 months (hopefully this will happen if M&D come to visit, maybe in Feb.)
  • Find a wife or girlfriend- within the next 30 or so years

I realize that this list is oriented mostly towards the superficial and material. Like I said, it's not prioritized, nor is it comprehensive. My relationship with the Lord comes first and foremost. I want to be more involved in ministry, both through a local church and by supporting my friends who are in missions. I also want to be a good attorney. I'm finding that law school doesn't quite prepare you 100% for the practice of law, and I'm used to being able to take pride in my work. There's a significant learning curve with what I'm doing but I think I'm making progress. And as always, my family is the most important thing in my life. If I achieve nothing else in 2007 I hope I can stay close with each one even though I'm the farthest away.

And on a completely different note, here are the most recent pics to be pulled off my camera...

This was taken from one of the office windows, on a very clear day. Oftentimes you can't see the mountains at all. Actually these are still just foothills. The High Sierra, beyond these hills, isn't visible from the Valley.


This is my new phone. It's much thinner and smaller than my old one, with a lot more features (including the red touch-sensitive music controls on the front flip). What's not to like?

Also, Verizon gave me a free month of their internet and streaming video service, so I can check my e-mail from my phone for a few weeks. pretty cool!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Quite a list, Sean. You certainly are ambitious. My list would look something like:
~Finish this school year
~Read a good book other than curriculum options.
~Clean the bathrooms this week
~Make dinner tonight
Mine are pretty short term! Anyway, I still think you're great even if you don't get all this done.

Anonymous said...

Funny, just about 2 weeks ago I checked out from the Library a "Learn Spanish" CD set. Funny, we have a lot of similar interests and goals. Seems like the older we get the more we have in common. Like your expanding love handles. j/k, I got rid of mine.

Sounds like a very fun list, man. It's great to have a list like this to knock out one at a time until you can look back and say, "Wow, I've had some awesome experiences!"

Cool pics and very cool phone, too!

Anonymous said...

Ola Sean! Que tal?
Spanish is a beautiful language. I was taking classes through work until I switched jobs last April. One of these days I'd like to pick it back up again.

Cool phone! We just bought LG laundry equipment. Life is Good!

Keep well,
A. Margie

Anonymous said...

Sure enjoyed your post! Thanks for sharing - looking forward to what God's going to do this coming year!
We're proud of you Sean!