Sunday, January 21, 2007

amazon swim

Anybody up for a little swim? In a few days the world's greatest long distance marathon swimmer is going to attempt to swim the Amazon River, not from bank to bank but from source to estuary, a distance of 3,375 miles. And he's planning to do it in 70 days. Sounds pretty crazy right? This won't be his first big river though. Martin Strel holds records for being the first and only person to swim the Danube, Mississippi, and Yangtze rivers, among others. Check out the details or at least watch the promo video clip at http://www.amazonswim.com/?page=Intro. It's intriguing.

"As a young boy, I was beaten a lot by my parents and schoolmasters. This no doubt contributed greatly to my ability to ignore pain and endure..."-Martin Strel, Guiness World Record holder
I logged on to AOL to check my e-mail today, and this guy's story was one of the headlines. He's definitely nuts, and I'm definitely going to be checking that website from time to time to see his progress. I think he'll make it.

The feats of this swimmer sure do put my little hike into perspective...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I subscribed to the updates on that one. That will be amazing. I've heard great stories of giant anacondas and pirrhanas on the Amazon. Would be a great adventure just to boat the entire thing, much more to swim it! He has the determination to do it, as long as he doesn't get eaten along the way. Can't wait to see! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Incredible!!! Glad it's not you this time =) Just the video was hair-raising! Also plan to follow his trip (I wonder if his mother is still alive =)

Anonymous said...

It's amazing what people will do! Seems like there may be some issues! Amazing!