Saturday, February 03, 2007

long live Swiffer

I've had one of the most productive Saturdays in months. Christian and Holly got me a gift card and coupon for a Scrubbing Bubbles brand shower cleaner, which I finally got around to purchasing today. Pretty neat device- it "cleans your shower at the touch of a button!" I also picked up a Swiffer duster and a Swiffer mop. (Wal-Mart may not be the place to go for high-end backpacking or climbing gear, but they're great for everything else!) Cleaning products have come a long way since the bucket-and-rag days of old. In about twenty minutes I had cleaned my shower, dusted my apartment, and mopped all the floors. Now that may not sound like news to you, but for a bachelor that's downright groundbreaking.

CA really is a huge state. I recently discovered that my county alone is more than twice the size of Delaware. At almost 5,000 square miles, it's roughly the same size as the state of Connecticut. Most of that area is national forest or national parks land. This map shows how much of the county is in The Valley and how much is mountainous.

Lots of folks from back east ask me where Visalia is. I tell them that it’s in the central valley, approximately in the middle of the state. The nearest big cities are Fresno 40 minutes to the north and Bakersfield 1:15 to the south. LA is 2.5 to 3 hours south, depending on traffic and where you’re going, while Sacramento and the Bay area are 3-4 hours north. The central coast is 2-2.5 hours West, and the Sierra Nevada’s are just East of me. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so….




I think I'm going to go back to Neighborhood Church tomorrow. Boy I'll tell ya, finding a church can be a daunting task! I'm really not a hugely outgoing person, so it's not natural for me to just plunge into unfamiliar environments requiring interaction with strangers. One of the SMR folks invited me to Neighborhood a few weeks ago though, and I've been twice so far. They seem to have a vibrant young adults group (NOT a singles group- those things are scary!). I was at the 20-30's class last week, and enjoyed it, so I'll probably go back tomorrow.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the maps Sean! I keep meaning to pull out the atlas, or check out MapQuest, so this took care of that task. Given your love of the outdoors, it looks like you picked a pretty nice place to settle.

Yup ... "Wally Mart's" great for life's 'pedestrian' necessities!

Christian said...

Congrats on the cleaning. Now you're on a schedule! Every February. =)

Allison Sangree said...

Sean, the maps are great - better than the ones I saw before. It really helps!!

(By the way, toilets do need cleaning and carpets need vacuuming occasionally too.. like once a year before parents come to visit =) With this schedule I guess we should only come to visit you each year in February.
Take note everyone!

Anonymous said...

I love geography, & that was a great lesson! Thanks, Sean, now I know where you are (not that we'll be dropping by to visit!) You aren't too far from San Clemente, so if Erin & Jason ever end up at Camp Pendleton again, maybe we'll drive up! Really hope both of you end up on the EAST coast!

Anonymous said...

wait...you're not a super outgoing person?!

yeah, don't you just love how people are like, "oh, let's meet up when i come out to cali," and you're thinking, "um, that's 8 hours away from me..." seriously, would you drive from DC to Atlanta just to see a someone...well, ok, maybe, but you see my point. ;-)

Erin said...

So, do those shower cleaner things work? I been wanting to get one, but don't want to buy it until I hear it really works. Give me your consumer report. :)

And Mom, San Clemente is not that close to Sean, it is like 4 hours away! :) But, I guess considering how far we all are from Sean right now, that does not seem too far.

Anonymous said...

I said, I LOVE geography, NOT that I am good at it! But it looked SO close on the map!

Anonymous said...

Oops! Been commenting as "Mom" all morning!

SES said...

Janice- too funny!
Erin, I've only just started using it so all I can say for now is that anything would be an improvement. C is sold on them though.
Mrs. A, no problem. It sure wouldn't be the first time I felt like another one of the Ag kids =)

Anonymous said...

oh! i just read thru ur list of CA fast food places! the list made me miss home!!!! u r 3 1/2 hrs from my house - i'll be home in july for a home school conf - you should ask hslda if u can "work" the conf for them! :) miss u angelface!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Sean, I finally got a chance to update myself with your cleaning and other news. You crack me up. Missing you a lot lately and hoping that you can work out a chance to come home over the summer. Plan to stay here since Mom and Dad won't have any room for you. =)
Love ya, bro.

Rachelle said...

You are welcome to come clean for me anytime. I think I'll send this post to Mrs. K to make sure you knows you are surviving on your own! -rlr