Thursday, February 15, 2007

Erik & Eric

"On May 25, 2001, Erik Weihenmayer became the only blind man in history to reach the summit of the world's highest peak - Mount Everest."

So begins the "About Erik" section at a website my friend Kara recently referred me to (http://www.touchthetop.com/). This guy is a real inspiration. He lost his sight at age 13, before he even started getting into climbing. In an interview with National Geographic, he talks about how he makes every effort to be a contributing member of the team rather than simply being led all the way and planted on the summitt http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/07/0730_030730_everest.html .

Another tidbit I couldn't leave out: "In 1999, Erik joined Mark Wellman - the first paraplegic to climb the 3000-foot face of El Capitan, and Hugh Herr - a double-leg-amputee and scientist at Harvard's prestigious prosthetics Laboratory, to climb an 800-foot rock tower in Moab, Utah." Amazing, huh?

If you only have time to check out one of the links above, go to the intervew. Maybe climbing isn't your thing, but I'm guessing you'll still be inspired to dream big and treat obstacles as opportunities for greatness. It makes me think of the Adidas tagline, "Impossible is nothing." I love that! Not sure if Erik is a Christian or not. It's awesome when people like this recognize the source of their abilities. One of my personal heroes is Eric Liddell, missionary and Olympic gold medalist (good bio info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Liddell). One of his quotes has stuck with me ever since I first heard it as a kid. I think it's from Chariots of Fire, and in it Eric says something like this: "God made me fast, and when I run, I can feel His pleasure."
God made each of us for a purpose, and His heart is thrilled when we pursue that purpose with passion- when we each run our race.

8 comments:

Christian said...

Bro, awesome post. You've inspired me. Isn't it great to have the benefit of so many inspiring lives setting examples for us? And today, more than ever, we have it all at our fingertips. Gotta love it.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Sean, great post. Haven't talked to you for a while, so I thought I'd check in. I'm sick today, but hoping tomorrow is better. Love ya.

Allison Sangree said...

Sean thanks for the encouraging and inspiring post, as well the easy links to get to the websites.
There's a huge billboard on #83 with a picture of Eric with a caption which read something like "Climbed Mt. Everest - BLIND!"
WOW, absolutely amazing!
I'm also following Martin Strel's swim down the Amazon - Thanks for the link. What an adventure!
We're looking forward to reading about your weekend and seeing some pics on your next blog (soon?=)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouraging thoughts. You are a good writer. Greatr talkint to you the other day. It looks like Al and I are flying to OK to see Christian, Holly, Addie and Story. Time just does not allow us the luxury of driving out to CA as much as we want to. This will give you a little more time to clean.

Allison Sangree said...

Sean, looking forward to another post when you have the time.
Loads of love, Mom XXX

Anonymous said...

Hey, still waiting for you to update your blog. You're leaving us on the fringe, bro! Keep posting.

Love ya.

Chris and Michelle said...

Sean, you need to update... we're all waiting! ;)

Anonymous said...

It's March 5th and your last post was Feb. 15-now is MySpace taking up all your time? Or is there a girl in your life?