Saturday, December 09, 2006

warning- boring post

Today marks the first time (as far as I recall) that I've paid someone else to change my oil and filter, something I'm perfectly capable of doing myself. Actually, I enjoy being under the hood occasionally. Few things make you feel more like a man than wielding a big wrench in grease-stained, busted-knuckled hands. But it's just not very practical in my present circumstances (insufficient tools and space, and probably against the rules at the apt complex anyway). The upside is I found this lube place that has you in and out in ten minutes without ever leaving your car! (Rather than using a lift, you pull up over a "pit" and they do the work from below. ) I was impressed with the efficiency of the system, and can certainly see why hardly anybody bothers with doing it themselves anymore. And, I used a coupon I found in the phone book to get three dollars off plus a free car wash. I'm sure Fiona is surprised and grateful for the sudden lavish attention bestowed upon her.

California's Central Valley is essentially a dust bowl, so the cars get really dirty really fast. One guy at my office has a monthly membership arrangement with the car wash allowing for unlimited washes. I never heard of such a thing back east. And I'm sure products like Rain-X, which are big in the northeast, aren't so hot out here. Sometimes I wonder if the windshield wipers will ever serve a purpose other than smearing the dust around on the glass.

My father was a top-notch mechanic, working on everything from boats to big rigs. His father ("Grandad") maintained a little workshop down in the basement so he could tinker well into his golden years. I'm grateful for the experiences I too have had working on my own vehicles and learning from/helping Dad work on the family cars growing up.

So today, I'm glad the Subie's clean and lubed, but I miss the satisfaction and fulfillment of getting down and dirty with the tools.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, that was good, but we really, really want to hear about your law experiences in court too. What you write is usually different and funnier than what you tell us on the phone. Also let us know how your team training goes tomorrow with SMR

Anonymous said...

Sean nothing is a "boring post" - we read and at times re-read every word. Love ya

Anonymous said...

You're right-that was boring. jk :-) So I finally found out from LC people that you have a blog, so I thought I'd check it out. We still talk about you and playing Mafia. When you visit for Xmas we'll have to get a big group together and play.
Ashley

Anonymous said...

Sean,
Yeah, that was a boring post!! LOL, Just kidding. Good to hear how you're doing. Keep your MD. friends in mind if you ever make it back to this area. Take care.

CABeachBlonde said...

Hey! I'm a friend of Kris G. and Janice P. and ran across your blog by accident when I was checking out J's (clicked on the wrong link). Got to reading your blog, though, and it is really interesting and it sounds like you have a ton of fun. :) Always great to "run into" a fellow CA-East Coaster!

Christian said...

I bought one of those "California Car Dusters" for use here in Oklahoma and it works nicely for dusting off the car without having to wash it. Helps if you have a good coat of wax on it and rainX on the windows. RainX keeps the dust from sticking to the glass.

Thank you for the informative update. Look forward to pictures of the lube pit (from inside your car) next time.