Monday, December 18, 2006

a one-year anniversary

One year ago today I had a little run-in with that most dangerous of power tools, the table saw. The index, middle, and ring fingers on my right hand weren't much of a match for the carbide tipped blade spinning at several thousand revolutions per minute.

I've always considered myself to be fairly careful with power tools. Having grown up around them I was familiar with what they were capable of. I'd heard people with half a hand warn that the minute you don't respect these things, they'll bite ya. But a momentary lapse of caution together with a couple of other factors such as hurrying and extreme cold all combined to make for a very interesting workday.

Here's the glove I was wearing that day. It didn't have any holes pre-accident =)

I'm purposely omitting the pics I snapped with my camera phone at the hospital. Here's the hand 5 days after:


And here's the hand I'm typing this with today (just snapped with my camera phone):



Isn't the body's power to heal itself incredible? Or rather, isn't the One who created the human body amazing. A year later, my glove's still torn up, but all I have are some faint scars and some scar tissue, and some (not total) loss of feeling. I can type and do just about everything else just fine. This could have been so much worse. God is gracious! (Incidentally, that happens to be the meaning of my name.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As your boss, I'm most grateful for the fact that you weren't taking any tort cases. Hee hee!
Seriously, that was a close call and a miracle. So glad it hasn't affected anything you're doing today, especially blogging.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! How fast we forget! We're so grateful to God for how wonderfully your fingers healed - that could have been such a tragedy.

Anonymous said...

As I began reading your blog and saw a picture coming as I scrolled down, how grateful I was that you only posted the gloves!--UNTIL I scrolled down further! Now that was yuck! But looks great now! Happy Anniversary!

Christian said...

Like, you should totally be a hand model, dude. I can see your style coming out in both of those hand pictures. =)

I'm so glad we heal! I cut my leg with a handsaw while M&D were visiting last week, just like happened with Auntie Margie and Uncle Rob years ago. It bowed and sprung out and I was still sawing when it hit my leg. No biggie, but it really is nice that everything heals up or I'd be hard to look at today. =)

Stacy said...

I found your blog via the little button at the top of the page that says "next blog" and just happen to glance over your post.

Thank you for sparing us the hospital pictures!

And thank God that you have but a few scars and some disgusting pictures to remind you of the event.

(Perhaps I'll avoid hitting "next blog" from now on... I'm a bit afraid of what I might stumble upon next.)

Anonymous said...

I remember last year politely declining to see the photos of your fingers. Now against my own will I had to see them. Totally unfair. You should have had a warning at the top of the page. One year anniversary sounds like a pleasant post. :)

By the way, your fingers good for what I now see they have been through. I cut my hand pretty bad this year on a glass and my scars do not look so good.....

See ya next week.

Janice Phillips said...

that is an amazing and gross picture but I am very glad you are not too much the worse for wear...God is good!