Saturday, December 06, 2008

Turkey Trot '08

One of my roommates invited me to spend Thanksgiving with some of his family in Southern CA. He also talked me into participating in the 31st annual Dana Point Turkey Trot 10 kilometer race. It was a great experience, despite (because of? :-) a torrential downpour during the run and standing water all over the road. I'm not in any kind of running shape, but I did it! I got VERY sore the next day, and the day after, and the day after that. I'd do it again though.

There were over three thousand runners, including people running in costumes as turkeys, Pilgrims, Indians, a banana- you name it!

A couple of pics:

The "before pic," around 6 am Thanksgiving morning. The other guy is my roommate Kyle, with two of his cousins on the right and a friend of theirs on the left.

Near the start. It rained hard!

Runner with a Pilgrim hat. I saw a guy in a banana costume wringing it out a few times during the race =)


Fresh fruit after the finish. Oranges never tasted so good!


The "after" shot, where we parked the car at McDonald's. We arrived late, parked pretty far away, and had to jog like half a mile to get to the start on time!

3 comments:

j said...

This is so you, Sean.

Anonymous said...

This year 'the turkey trot' ... next year the 'CN Tower Climb'! They actually climb the CN Tower for charity; people do it in as little as 18 minutes. Unbelievable!

See you in a couple of weeks,
A. Margie

Erin said...

We used to live right by Dana Point when we lived in CA. In San Clemente. We never did the Turkey Trot though, looks like we missed out! :)