Wednesday, January 09, 2008

A helmet story

I have a number of friends who insist on teasing me that my obsession with paddling around in a 6.5' yellow plastic boat is something less than heterosexual. They're just jealous, of course, but still, when I went out and bought a lacrosse helmet the other day for kayaking, I didn't exactly help to shut them up. Until now I've been using my climbing helmet, but I wanted to get something with a grill attached to protect my face (which, as anyone who's seen Ashton Kutcher in the new Cheaper by the Dozen movie can attest, "is the real moneymaker"). Observe:

Anyway, last weekend's severe weather in the Central Valley caused a number of local rivers to spike, and I got the chance to paddle a big chunk of the Kaweah River with some buddies on Sunday. It was my first time using the new helmet, and it paid for itself the first time out. The flows and features on the river were very challenging for my limited skill level, and though I made it downriver without any swims or portages, I did get just a little beat up. One of the times I flipped I smacked my head against a submerged rock hard enough to crack my neck. When I got home I was looking my helmet over and here's what I found:


The grill looked new when I got it. So basically, I don't care what you think, I'm saying it was a good investment! (Additionally, Monday was my first day of work at a new job, and though I wanted to make an impression, I don't think a broken nose or gash in the face would have been the best way to do it.) The end.

7 comments:

Erin said...

Hey, as a mom I think the helmet is a great idea!! I'll be sure to show this post to my daredevil Kyle. Good luck on your new job!!! Keep us updated.

Christian said...

Wow, good thing you were wearing it! Pretty amazing. Anyone else wear a face-mask helmet kayaking?

SES said...

C- yeah, I got the idea from a couple of other club members. I'll only use it when I'm pushing my limits

Allison Sangree said...

My suggestion, to protect the real money-maker, is to use it ALL the time - you never know!
In fact, do they sell any other kind of body armor? I say protect everything possible, you know, for the sake of future generations =)
Hopefully,
Grandmom

Anonymous said...

What are you calling the money maker, your face or your brain? Mom and I may not be in agreement. You might consider wearing it to court just in case there is an irate criminal someday. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of copper.

Vicki & Bruce said...

You actually could have had worse than a broken nose or gash and not even made it to work on Monday! Glad to hear about how well your new job is going (went out with your parents on Sat.) Are you eventually going to run for Judge?

Anonymous said...

WOW, Sean. Glad to see you're wearing the helmet. You look great in it too, don't worry what your friends say.