Monday, May 14, 2007

Half Dome

Despite the impression you may get from this blog, CA actually isn't all rugged mountains and scenic coastline. In fact, I should probably post pics of some dilapidated gas stations next to abandoned warehouses, or ugly billboards towering above brown, charred fields, just to balance things out. Nevertheless, I got the chance to visit Yosemite again on Saturday (with five other Oak Brook attorneys from different parts of the Valley), and was blown away by the beauty once again.



Good view of Half Dome from the trail


There are cables anchored to the rock for the final 300 yards.

Someone was feeding a Marmot (something you shouldn't do).


The Cliffs of Insanity. Incontheivable!!


I arrived on top just as this client was finishing a guided climb of the Northwest face that took around 3 days. I offered to e-mail him some pictures, which I'm sure he'll be glad to have.


I'm standing here on what's called the Springboard, or the Devil's Pulpit. (I've heard both.)


Here's part of our group on the descent. 17 miles round trip with 4,000' of elevation gain was enough to wear everybody out!



Mist at the base of Nevada Falls



View from the top of Vernal Falls. (M & D, you may recognize the spot where we turned back when you visited. See the big dead tree? =)


The Mist Trail descending from Vernal Falls.


O Lord my God,
When I in awesome wonder,
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made;
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art!

When through the woods, and forest glades I wander,
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur
And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art!

And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing;
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art!

words & music by Carl G. Boberg and R.J. Hughes

13 comments:

Christian said...

WOW! Awesome pics, man. Some of those are definitely paint-worthy, Mom! Man, you do a great job taking pictures, bro!

Anonymous said...

Truly awesome Sean!

I'm waiting for the coffee table book! You've got some fantastic photos posted between the AT blog and this one.

Allison Sangree said...

Sean, what a fitting ending to such amazing scenery - "How great Thou art"!
Those pictures are incredible, with the mist and the rainbows they create with the sun shining through. You really have an eye for good composition and beauty Sean! Christian is right - I would love to paint some of them.
Were those cliffs really called the Cliffs of Insanity? They looked insanely steep and high! And was that really you standing on the Springboard? Incontheveable!!!

Anonymous said...

So are you going to give us those pics of dilapidated gas stations, abandoned warehouses, and ugly billboards, or not? The people are waiting for you to post again, man.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the pics and post. Would love to do that hike in Sept with you. Phenomenal work of our Heavenly Father.

Erin said...

From the looks of these photos I am assuming you don't have an issue with heights. :)

SES said...

Not true Erin! When I was a kid I was terrified of a second-story balcony. Seriously! I've gradually overcome that, but I still have a very healthy respect of heights. The only way I went to the very edge there at Half Dome was scooting on my belly =). That stomach-in-your-throat feeling is pretty addicting though. It's what motivates me to do a lot of things I probably shouldn't.

SES said...

Just got this from the climber I referenced in the post:

"You are a good man, and true to your word!

I have been wanting to climb Half Dome since my first trip to Yosemite as a little boy in 1968, when I first found out that people did such things.

It is only because of your kindness that I have a record of the moment that I have been dreaming about for 39 years..."

That makes me happy =)

Skatergrl said...

Sean, I'm so jealous, seeing all those sights in person must be utterly amazing. God is so creative with His creation!!! I can't believe you got to stand there and take it all in, must really give perspective on how big God is and how small we are. Thanks for sharing the pictures they look like post cards!! Nice job on the photography =) Catch ya lata!

Vicki & Bruce said...

Been waiting all week for a post on how you spent your birthday!

Vicki & Bruce said...

After I made the comment to you this morning, I clicked on "skatergirl" and her blog was so interesting I started to read it and found out she was from Md. Then I saw pictures of Daniel Wold's wedding and he married a sister of Joli Howard, who we knew in Md.! What a small world! I commented on Amy's blog because she had such a nice thing to say about Moms. So awesome that you met people that we knew way back in Md. 15 years ago! If we had stayed in Md., those people would have been in our circle of friends and then they would have met you and then I probably would have clicked on a comment that you made to Amy and saw Your Blog and maybe knew of you because you were a friend of the Ports!

Erin said...

So it was you that was hugging the wall of a tower in Gettysburg, just like I was, as we climbed to the top!! I thought I remember you not liking heights, but your adventures say otherwise! :)

Christian said...

Hey, Bro, way to make that climber's day. That, as opposed to the Hokey Pokey, is what it's really all about.