Tuesday, April 24, 2007

auto theft

The National Insurance Crime Bureau has released its 2006 statistics. The results? Five of the top ten metro areas for car theft are right here in the Valley (the Central Valley in California- see my Long Live Swiffer post for map =), and Visalia/Porterville is #3 on the list! http://money.aol.com/cnnmoney/insurance/canvas3/_a/insurance-coverageclaim-disputes/20070424110309990001

I know a guy here who puts a wheel lock, a steering wheel lock, and a brake lock on his Jeep every time he parks it, even if he's just grabbing coffee at a convenience store. (He admits he's a bit paranoid.) If I had a vehicle that I didn't the think my insurance company would give me full value for, I might be a little more concerned, but right now my Blue Book value's still pretty high, and if Fiona went AWOL I'd just have an excuse to upgrade.

The article says that one of the latest anti-theft methods that law enforcement is utilizing is the use of "bait cars," vehicles which are purposely left vulnerable, and are equipped with satellite tracking devices. And once one of these bait cars is stolen, the police can not only track it- get this- they can remotely turn off the engine and lock the perps inside! How cool is that?! My tax dollars are finally doing something worthwhile. The only improvement I can see is if they could slap some giant "CAR THIEF" stickers on the side and remotely parade the vehicle and its occupants around town for a day or two before driving to the jail.

4 comments:

Missi said...

lol! your friend is a bit over doing it with protecting his car I think...but one must do what one thinks they must:)
I saw a tv show where cops chased down car jackers that took the "set-up" cars. It was pretty funny seeing them stranded in their stollen car unable to get out cause they were locked in! It makes me wanna become a police officer...er..lady.

Sangree said...

Dude I hope they don’t steal campers out there as well, otherwise I’ll have to get all that stuff as well. Am going to check the web site for camper stats. Don’t worry because even if your town was number one we would still come although we might bring one of those rented campers with rental slogans printed all over.
Dad

Unknown said...

Ha, ha I love the idea of parading the car thief around.
How can you be so nonchalant about the idea of Fiona being stolen? And after she safely transported you cross country! Shame on you. Jk
I’m glad to see you started to blog again; I was getting tired of checking your page and seeing the same pictures. It’s nice to hear how you’re doing.
Hey, if you’re on the East Coast this summer give us Life Center people a call. Maybe we can play some volleyball and go to Red Robin again. :)
Ashley

Anonymous said...

If I brought my old, '91 Cavalier to visit you, I wouldn't have to worry about anyone stealing it!