Monday, August 11, 2008

stupid slogans

I get a kick out of catching really dumb things being said in ads on radio and TV. Sometimes I wonder how some ad campaigns ever made it out of the boardroom. For example, this is what I just heard on an ad for a local news station:

"We know you want answers to the tough questions- so do we. Local News 17."

And it's said in that deep authoritative tone that all media announcers have. What in the world? Is it just me, or does that make no sense at all? I'll overlook for the moment the fact that it's probably somewhat grandiose for a local news station to be referring to themselves along with life's tough questions. Regardless, what they're basically saying with a slogan like that is, "we have the same questions you do." Call me crazy, but I don't think that's the message most news viewers and listeners are tuning in to hear.

I guess they want you to assume that because they want answers to tough questions, that they also go out, obtain them, and pass them along to the viewing or listening audience. But that's a big logical leap. Most people never achieve what they want. Maybe it's designed to garner loyalty by expressing a sort of "hey, we're on the same page you are" sentiment. But that's not what it did for me. My first thought was, "hmm, that sounds clever." Second thought: "but what does it mean?" Followed quickly by the conclusion that it's another slogan stupid enough to blog about.

Unless.... maybe their true objective was simply to get people thinking about their ad. If that's the case, then I'm the sucker.

Speaking of words, I did see a great quote the other day: "Repetition is the sincerest form of repetition." =)

Okay, enough time wasted. I have two boxes of files to prep for court tomorrow, and it's after 11. I just had to see a few more Olympic medals won for Team USA, and a couple more world records broken. (Seriously- who set these previous world records? They're snapping like toothpicks in the Beijing swimming events.)

No comments: