Wednesday, June 13, 2007

dive

My friend Jeremy chartered a dive boat out of Long Beach last weekend and invited me to come. We went back to Catalina again but had the luxury of diving in more remote spots than the popular "underwater park" we went to last time. I got seasick (again), which surprises me- I remember being on my grandpa's sailboat as a kid with 10 to 12 foot swells crashing over the bow and I was fine. Here it was mostly a gentle rocking and I lost it like three times. I didn't, however, let it prevent me from going on and thoroughly enjoying all three dives. We saw lots of lobster, eel, and fish amongst the giant kelp forests we were in, and the visibility was better than last time. The water was cold so we were fully encased in neoprene from head to toe. Just a couple of shots this time:

My friends Jeremy and Theresa. Patient and experienced, Jeremy's been great with helping me get back into the sport. He's logged scores of dives here, in Hawaii, and all over the Caribbean.


I spotted this gauge in the cabin and just had to snap a pic. Looks like we were well beyond the safe protection level, but I didn't actually notice that much rust. I can't help but wonder how this gauge actually works, and how one determines what's a safe corrosion level and what's "under" safe!

8 comments:

Allison Sangree said...

It looks like a beautiful place Sean. Thanks for taking pics, it really helps me, otherwise I have a hard time picturing it all.
Great pic of you, and your friends look really nice.
It's much easier to be in a boat that's moving, even if the swells are big, than in a boat that's moving very slow or still. You might think of an anti-nasea patch behind your ear the next time, so you could enjoy it more.

Skatergrl said...

Wow Sean, you've had so many adventures!!! It looks like so much fun!! Although I'm not so sure I'd wanta come face to face with an eel?? I still have nightmares from The Princess Bride!! LOL

SES said...

haha. Amy, those were SHREIKING eels. big difference. Although, my uncle, Dad, and brother had a bad experience with a ginormous Moray eel at a vacation house in Trinidad back in like '87. Remember that bro? =)

Allison Sangree said...

Sean, the next time you go diving, think of maybe getting a cheap underwater camera from Walmart. They take relatively good pics if the water is clear.
Love ya loads.
Have a great day.

Missi said...

RYC: I agree:)

Cool dive pics!

Allison Sangree said...

I like the singing horses - the one on the left reminded me of you, but your "rap" thing was funnier. Maybe we could have a karaoke (sp?) night when you all come next month, but without the music, and you could be the rhythm section, along with Christian, and Dad could sing.

Anonymous said...

dude! ur doing cool stuff out there!!! how come i don't ever do any of that?? ooohhh, riiiight, thats cuz i'm at south coast plaza all the time!!!! :-P miss u! cindy

Erin said...

Time for new pics Sean! :) Looks like the dive was fun. Do you plans for the 4th?